Naval Dockyards Society

Exploring the civil branches of navies & their material culture

Pembroke Dock

At Pembroke Dock, the last remaining naval presence ceased with the disbanding of the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service (RMAS) in March 2008. The photographs were taken during a visit to the yard in May of the same year. A report on this and another visit appear in Dockyards, 13(1), 2-4 (June 2008) and Dockyards, 13(2), 10-11 (Dec 2008). An earlier report of the NDS 2001 tour appears in Dockyards, 6(1), 5-9 (Aug 2001) and David Davies’ article on Pembroke Dock Chapel refurbishment in Dockyards, 14(1), 13 (Dec 2008).

Photographs were taken by David Davies in 2013 and 2014.

Dockyard guardhouse. Image by J. D. Davies.

Dockyard guardhouse. Image by J. D. Davies.

 

The Master Surgeon’s House. Image by J. D. Davies.

The Master Surgeon’s House. Image by J. D. Davies.

 

Restored Pembroke Dock Chapel. Image by J. D. Davies.

Restored Pembroke Dock Chapel. Image by J. D. Davies.

 

The West Gun Tower, built 1851 to protect the dockyard. Image by J. . Davies.

The West Gun Tower, built 1851 to protect the dockyard. Image by J. D. Davies.

 

The East Gun Tower, previously open as a museum of local history, but closed since damage in 2011. Image by J. D. Davies.

The East Gun Tower, previously open as a museum of local history, but closed since damage in 2011. Image by J. D. Davies.